Monday, May 09, 2005

My Experience with Hoe

First blog, 'nough said. I can't remember the last time I had a beer. It's been quite a while since I even had the urge or the stomach to drink a social beer with nothing but school to think about. So on Friday Boon and I decided to pick up some beer after dinner at Kambie, a Chinese restaurant on Horton Street. On the way to the the LCBO we saw a sign outside the former Passage to India restaurant that said "UWO Badminton Social"...ah memories of a fundraiser that I helped to organize 2 years ago! I can't believe that sign is still there considering that the restaurant closed down. Anyways, on my way I wondered if I would be carded at the cash register. Boon obviously looks older than 19, but I on the other hand still could pass for a 14 year old on a bad day of course (don't even think of saying I look any younger!). So I decided to perform a test. I would pay for the beer rather than Boon and see if they would ask for my ID. After some beer perusing at the LCBO we decided to try a six-pack of Hoegaarden...what a weird name. When I went up to the cashier four black kids wearing NBA jerseys and ball caps sauntered through the entrance; immediately all attention was shifted towards them. One employee was trying to be subtle about monitoring their activities but he was quite blatantly staring at them. As I approached the counter, even the cashier was staring them down, and the funny thing was that he even looked like a shady black dude too. I think the cashier was so distracted that he forgot to pay attention to me and didn't seem to care that I could have been underaged, and therefore didn't ask for my ID. The LCBO must have some protocols: pay attention to the 4 rebellious looking black kids over small unsuspecting but under-19 looking asian girl. I guess my experiment was a failure because of uncontrollable factors. So if anyone is making a trip to the beer store, I'd be glad to buy it for you (with your money of course), to test out my experiment.

Needless to say I tried the Hoegaarten and does anyone else think that it has a bubble gum after taste?? We also decided to try out a beer and mussels dish for dinner the next day. Luckily the bubble gum taste went away, but I think that I still prefer wine-based broth with mussels. The mussels had a hint of hot chilis in the broth, Boon's trademark, but it was a sign of hotter things to come; some crazy anchovy and shrimp sambal dish that was reminiscent of a jerk chicken incident I had last year which was so hot I didn't even have time to sweat, just the searing pins and needles pain permeating through my tongue! Mmm, I've never loved Coke as much as I did then.

I really only had one bottle of beer myself. The rest went to Boon and the mussels. Later on I went to get a glass of water from the fridge and there's an empty Hoegaarden 6-pack holder just sitting in there, chilling away! Am I anal or does that bother anyone else? Throw out your empties damnit! hehe.

Yesterday was Mother's Day/Daughter's Day. My parents and I went to Toronto to take care of my sister who was madly studying for an important licencing exam for medicine, the LMCC, hence the "Daughter's Day". I love the people in Toronto, such diversity and interesting characters. It's good for people watching. Here's a funny story: my parents and I were driving along Bay St. and we saw a couple, a white dude and asian chick. The girl was wearing a skirt and I noticed a white dressing on the back of her leg, I thought maybe she had fallen during rollerblading and cut her leg perhaps. But as the wind started to blow, I saw that this dressing was not attached to her leg, but freely flapping. HAHA, she had toilet paper tucked into her underwear underneath her skirt and it was hanging out the bottom. I pointed at her and tried to get my parents to look. At that moment the guy looked over at our car, and probably saw 3 people staring at them, one pointing, and all simultaneously bursting out into laughter! Man that was such a good moment! And then we drove away.

Question: do you think that the guy knew that the toilet paper was dangling in plain view? Maybe he was on a first date and felt embarassed to point out such a fact. Would you say something to your date?

Poor girl.

I might sound mean, but I love physical comedy. I even still watch America's Funniest Home Videos (post-Bob Saget) and laugh my head off when they do those montages set to music where the theme could be men getting hit in the nuts, slipping into water, people dancing on tables and falling down, or generally someone getting hit in the head. I think that I am redeemed because I am the first to laugh my ass off when I do something stupid like that.

On that note, when I was walking to work this morning, a bird pooped on my head. Just desserts.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Blogger Moxy said...

right on sista

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter