Eggs-periments
Cat Update: The cat is named Rambu, short for Rambutan. He's been here for 3 days and he's done nothing but hide in small confined spaces or anywhere that no human could physically (comfortably) reach. Right now he's underneath my bed, lying down. That's where I left him last night before I went to bed. But I assure you, he's up and about when nobody is in the room, or when he thinks that he is safe, like when I'm sleeping. He emerged from his hiding spot to eat some food *crunch, crunch* at 4:30am. How do I know that? He woke me up with his chewing, then proceeded to walk around my room and explore, just loud enough to keep me from falling back asleep for at least half an hour. Are you kidding me?! As a result, I had to have a noon hour nap at work. He's still cute, I can't be mad at cats, even though he's been hissing at me. Haha. It makes me wonder how poorly he was treated before to make him so distrustful of humans. I am hoping that I can help him trust us again. My cat paraphenalia has increased now. I just bought him some treats, a pooper scooper and hair brush to add to the litter box, jangle ball and food dishes that I already have. The pooper scooper is working out so much better than using a plastic bag glove.
The other day I saw someone whom I considered a good school-mate in 1st and 2nd year. We haven't really hung out in the last couple of years, we just became acquaintances I guess. She was sitting across the room and I usually go up to her and say hi, but she usually responds like she doesn't really care if I talk to her or not. So I decided to see if she would come over and say hi instead. She saw me but didn't come up to talk. I feel like I've been getting the cold shoulder from her during our last few encounters. Did I do something to her? What do you call someone who is below an acquaintance?
My supervisor told me today that a 46 year-old woman from the States contacted him to ask his opinion on her having a child through assisted reproductive technology. She already has two kids and has a happy and healthy family. However, she is thinking about trying an ART called oocyte transfer. Older women have difficulty becoming pregnant for some mysterious reason attributed to their oocytes, the female egg. Scientists are finding alternative ways to manipulate the egg to overcome this problem, however this experimental procedure is on the moral, ethical and pragmatical fringes. Oocyte transfer involves replacing the cytoplasm of the woman's egg with that of donor cytoplasm from a younger woman. It doesn't involve any transfer of genetic material, but it is highly contraversial because it is experimental and not scientifically studied. As well, the experimental subjects are humans. I wonder what is her motivation to want to try this procedure. Is she unsatisfied with her life right now, so much so that she is compelled to have another child? The scientific what-ifs are creating scenarios in which we can see ourselves being, yet we also lose sight of our own limitations. The possibilities are tempting, but my supervisor put it aptly that there are plenty of little Chinese girls who need families.
Random questions:
1. How much does Jarrod from the Subway commercials make?
2. What colour should I paint my basement?
3. When someone is being friendly, are you more suspicious of him/her being up to something if he/she has a significant other or if he/she is single?
"Tha not queer as folk." ~ Kevin B.

1 Comments:
k your blog is certainly more interesting than mine.....
maybe i should get a life.
your sister
Post a Comment
<< Home