Friday, December 14, 2007

I ain't no pushover.

Do I remember how to do this anymore?

So lately I have been a coffee shop studier. I hate being around the undergrads in the library. I especially hate the energy at the library...people fluttering around, chit-chatting, the intensity. If people are going to talk I would much rather have something interesting to eaves-drop on. Out of convenience I sometimes go to the coffee shop below my building. It used to be a hair salon that I went to once, where the stylist gave me the strangest experimental technique, and to this day, nobody else agrees that it was a good idea (although it did looked pretty good). I digress...this new shop is pretty successful...sorta makes me feel bad for the little coffee shop two doors down that has way more character, but far less business. It is successful because of location, but it also has a gimmick - it is organic and fair trade. Another bonus is that it stays open late, so they get all the night people who want to read a paper, go on the internet or have a social meeting place. It has all the qualities to becoming a city-saavy hang-out. It really is no different than your average chain Starbucks or Second Cup, however I have not yet been sold onto the idea of this place yet for one simple reason. Every time I buy something, the salesperson tries to push their stupid value card onto me. I get 10% off every purchase if I load any amount of money onto the card, and if I put $20 on, I can get my specialty drink for freeeeee! OK, the first time I rejected this idea, it was because I wasn't sure I would come to this place often enough to spend any $. The next time, I didn't feel like thinking about it because I was in a hurry, and I just wanted to buy my drink. By third time, I was so annoyed that they kept going into this long speech about the card, that I just made sure that I looked bored when she was speaking. I'm not sure what it is about people's advertising tactics, but when I feel like I am being bombarded, I get a bad first impression and I won't likely take the bait. I think I'm being too stubborn, and that I may be losing the battle (my money), I'm willing to sit in your coffee shop and defiantly NOT buy your value card.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Moxy said...

I guess it would depend on how expensive their coffees were. I only went in there once and they didn't push the card on me! I miss Jaka's. And you're right, the Croissant Tree is way nicer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter