Thursday, May 19, 2005

I finally have crepes to go with my Aunt Jemima

My orange chair was revoked today wahhhhh. It's back to the plastic chairs. Supposedly the dental students need the chair. What's so special about the dent students?! Well it was nice while it lasted. Apparently chairs that have wheel castors must have five prongs on the base as a safety design so the chair doesn't tip over. You learn something new every day!

I was listening to CBC news the other day and the guest was an older gentleman who was illiterate. He was always seen as an outcast. He attributed his turn to drugs, alcohol, unemployment and homelessness to the fact that he couldn't read. Many years later, he has made an effort to overcome his illiteracy and learn how to read. Now he is heralded as a hero and role model in his community. It is a great story, but it reminded me of my illiteracy in Chinese. Sure I went to Chinese school for a few years but I don't think it was the right way for me to learn. My parents don't speak Chinese to me at home and when they do, it's very hard for me to pick up new vocabulary (without translation). When I go to China, Hong Kong, or even Toronto, I do feel like an outcast. People expect me to understand what they are saying, and to a certain extent I do. Because I look Asian I am supposed to understand. I don't feel as if I don't belong, but I feel handicapped or out-of-the-loop sometimes. So one of my goals for the future is to learn more Chinese.

Rambu is a freak! On Tuesday he woke up up at 4:30am. I could hear him digging his nails into my carpet. When I stooped up to see what he was doing, I could see him running in tight circles on the carpet. It was really weird because I have never seen a cat do that before. Last night I put him in the bathroom so I could get a night of peaceful sleep. He's been hiding underneath my bed for the past couple of days so I blocked off the area under my bed so he can't hide there any more. I did that so I could interact with him more easily. He's at least letting me pet him now, that's a step in the right direction.

I had a fastball game yesterday with summer team, Byron. My school team's coach also has a summer team (different team) and they were having a practice before the Byron game. So I decided to go to the practice before my game. Bad idea haha. We mostly did running drills and by the time we got to throwing I was so tired. I am almost glad that I had to leave early to eat dinner before my game. I am impressed by the skill level of some of these girls. It is certainly better than what I am used to. I have to keep checking to see if my hand is intact after catching Hayley's throws. After the practice, I was really exhausted because I am SO OUT OF SHAPE! I have been put off working out this whole week because I am lazy, but honestly, I must do weights, must run.

We won our game against our sister team, Byron, 11-1 (0 for 1, 2 walks, 1 run and a badly scraped leg). I remember playing against Byron when I was younger and I always thought that they were snobs, high maintenance biatches. I didn't always play for Byron. My team right now is an amalgamation of girls formerly from other organizations, who have found a home in Byron. I think that my team is really nice, friendly and we just try to have fun. The other Byron team though is unfriendly. They act like they have an inner circle and if you are not part of it, you are not worthy. They are my least favourite team so far.
Duane came to see my game and then we played some ping pong after. It was good times playing and catching up. We must have played for two solid hours.

"That could have been spicy." ~ Duane.


Scraped Leg Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog -- especially the bit about the toilet paper. Reminds me of a similar incident involving me, an equally rude friend, and an unsuspecting girl with toilet paper attached to her shoe at a pool hall. The two of us amused ourselves for a while at her expense, but then my friend told the girl about the TP. So I guess she's not equally rude, since I was inclined to not let on!
Good luck with snapping pics of the groundhog! I have one (cleverly named "Woody" -- as "woodchuck" is a redneck term for groundhog) in my backyard. He's fun to watch.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Moxy said...

sista, your blog is so funny to read. i wish i had that much time to write blog entries. why didn't we do this years ago???!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Lesley said...

I think I'm going to name the groundhog Boris. I always resort to that name for quirky animals. Unfortunately I haven't seen the little guy in 3 days. I'm starting to worry...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter