Monday, March 03, 2008

On the flip side.

So I had an eventful night, finding myself having unexpected free time to write. I just came back from the ER. My first time there as patient. In other firsts, I had my first X-ray (5 in total). The reason for my visit was to check out my left knee. I was playing football and having a pretty good game. I already had one touchdown and I was going for a second when something bad happened. As I stopped to catch the ball, my first slipped outwards on the turf as all of my weight was going downwards - then *pop* - my knee bent inwards, probably looked really disgusting, and popped back in. Then excruciating pain, hyperventilation, nausea. Surprisingly, I didn't really cry. I thought I would have been bawling from the pain, but that didn't happen. Thankfully my knee joint was not dislocated and I just chose to wait out the pain for a few minutes. The pain was really intense for about 20 minutes, as I watched the rest of the game. Really at that time, I contemplated not going to the emerg because you're looking at a wait of 4 hours...but we decided to go anyway. Could we pull any strings with the docs to get fast tracked?? My teammates were great! I had a personal dresser, a carrier and and ice-fetcher.
My friend had a car and two other teammates came along to go to the ER. As luck would have it, the ER was really quiet and it looked as though we wouldn't need to pull any strings (though it would have been awesome to see in action). I was in and out of the ER within 1.5 hours. I was interviewed by a CC4 and it was pretty cool to be interviewed by a fellow student in a real situation. He did a good job! Anyway, long story short, the X-Rays were negative, just a slight effusion and likely a partial MCL tear. Now I have to ice, elevate and take anti-inflammatories. I probably won't be on my feet in regular condition for 2 weeks. And the football season is almost over. The next thing to worry about is when I can get back to the hospital and be an effective team member.
Oh I forgot the redeeming part of the story. I still got the touchdown! It turned out to make the difference too cuz we won by 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter