Friday, June 17, 2005

Bachelor of Medical Science Honours Physiology with Distinction *

My steering wheel was so hot last week that I had to wear mittens left in the car from the winter-time to drive home. Now this week I'm wearing long sleeves and sweaters.

How does Stevie Wonder watch a basketball game? He was singing at the Spurs/Pistons game and was sitting in the audience afterwards. I wonder if he knows what's going on or can comprehend the magnitude of their play. I'm not a huge NBA follower but I was looking up some players on the internet. I came across Dikembe Mutombo. That guy is still around? He's almost 40! He's quite the character. His real name is Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo and a son named Jean Jacques Dikembe Mutumbo Mplombo, Jr. He wanted to become a physician until a basketball coach at Georgetown University recruited him to the basketball team. He originated from Congo but soon became a superstar in his American University and get this, patented the phrase: "Who wants to sex Mutombo?" Bahahahahahahah!! He was literally the big man on campus. Size 22 feet.

On another topic. Yay we have won two games in a row (9-3 and 13-6)! But I'm still having a hitting slump. This happens every 2 or 3 years. I'll do really well, everything is good, my mechanics are sound and I am confident that I'll hit the ball. Now I can't even hit off of the slow pitchers. Granted I'm trying to change my technique. Like my coach says, if you change things, it'll get worse before it gets better. Please please get better!

Yesterday I convocated. It was a long ceremony as usual but I thought it kicked ass in most respects. Although the ceremony took over 2 hours, 3 if you include the waiting time beforehand, I sat beside a really nice guy who chatted with me the whole time. I'd never met him in my 4 years at UWO, his name was Connor and he was at least 6'5". It must have looked really funny with us walking up on stage together.

The speaker who received an honourary degree gave a pretty good speech, mostly directed to women and their increasing prominent and important role in society. She also spoke about her career as an advocate for animal models in science as well as her experiences such as WWII that set her on her path to UWO. When speaking about the dangers of correlation she gave this example: "98% of convicted felons are bread users. Is bread dangerous?" That's funny, my whole 4th year thesis was based on trying to make correlations. It's a good thing I'm not doing my Master's. Well I had a good time seeing everybody again. For some it might be the last time I see them, for others the last time in a while. I found out that Alex got into UofT as well. Others were on the waiting list still. Interestingly enough I received an offer of admission to Mac this morning before going to work. I thought that this was odd because I had already accepted the offer to Toronto. All Ontario schools communicate with each other and Mac should have known already that I am going to Toronto. Now I have to worry about whether my mail was sent out properly. But it does feel good to know I was also accepted there.

The only good advice comes when it is asked for. This quote came from someone who was offering advice unprompted as a way of saying you don't have to listen to me if you don't want to. Maybe I'm not used to receiving impromptu advice but I thought it was weird and the advice stranger. He congratulated me for getting in to UofT and said it was the right choice scholastically, but that I should be careful not to let other things get in the way of my career ie. only consider factors that are related to my career to make decisions. Then he started being vague. "Don't commit...keep your options open...experience new things and new people...learn from experience...nicest person in the world but...there are many fish in the sea...you are young...when I was young I was naive..." WTF?! I'm not sure what this conversation really was about. I didn't even really say much I was dumbfounded. I am still not certain what the punchline was. Then he said at some point "you can tell me later on that I was completely wrong and to 'go fuck yourself' but I had to tell you this." If I am interpreting his advice properly I think it might be the latter advice that I'll stick with. Anyhow, he made some sense and was telling me to be cautious. However can you not also learn from "mistakes" as well? Is it possible that I could already be happy? It's food for thought that I'm sure I'll be munching on for a long time, trying to figure out what the hell that was about.

1 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Moxy said...

i am registering a comment in French; I think Iùll use the nor,al keys this ti,e qnd see if you cqn figure out zhqt i q, trying to sqy: Qnyzqys; looking forzqrd to seeing you soon sistq; qnd give ,e updqtes on the qpqrt,ent hunting:

Qndi
(hqhqhqhq)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter