Friday, June 03, 2005

A day to remember

Today is a good day, a great day! June 3, 2005. My sister played a cruel joke on me today. I had already woken up late for work and I was drying my hair getting ready to leave. She comes into the bathroom and puts a letter down on the counter. I was confused at first, it was a regular-sized envelope with a burgundy letterhead and I thought at first it was the Ottawa wait list letter in hard-copy that I had received through e-mail on Tuesday. Upon closer inspection, the letter was from Mac. Great, another rejection/waitlist. I was thrown off quite a bit because the mail never comes until after lunch hour and it was only 10:30 am. Just when I was feeling dejection and more anxiety, a millisecond later, she whips out this big brown envelope from behind her back with an excited look on her face. Again, a little confused, I had to take a closer look at the address in the left upper corner. YES!!! The stamp said University of Toronto.

The big brown envelope was more than 2 times bigger than the little Mac one. That's a good sign. So I kept up the suspense and opened the Mac letter first, great, another wait list. Yawn. Alright, time to tear open the Toronto envelope (with an inkling of knowing what my fate already). Yay me! I got into Toronto Med School! I hugged and picked up both my sister and my mom, literally. I was elated. And very much relieved.

I went to call my dad, and since I had been tricked, I decided to pull a fast one on my dad too. I told him that I got a letter from Mac and I was waitlisted. He says "oh, I'm sorry to hear that, it's ok", then of course I told him I also got a letter from Toronto and that I got in. "Yes! That made my day!" It was only 10:30am, the day was just beginning though hehe. My whole family was really happy for me and I owe them a lot for all of their support in getting me where I am today. Thank you.

I feel rejuvenated, it's like things seem so much clearer now. A weight has lifted off my shoulders. Even driving to school I was happy. I listened to that Tears for Fears song from the Donnie Darko soundtrack. I really like that song, and oddly I'll remember it for being the song I listened to the day I got into med school.

The wheels are already turning in my dad's head...so much to do, so little time...getting a place, moving, all the things I have to do here before I leave. Me on the other hand, I like to take things nice and relaxed. Now I really have to think about my roommate situation. What to do....

My grandma's coming tomorrow from Boston to stay with us for a month. I'm pretty happy to see her again. Now maybe I can make good on my goal of learning more Chinese. Then I can use it when I'm in Chinatown in Toronto!

1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Moxy said...

Congrats again my little sister. Now you can pay me back !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter