Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Campus Hollywood

I had so much fun at work today. Granted the word "work" is highly overstated in it's influence on the fun. If you go to the UWO website or read the LFP you might have heard that UWO is the location for a movie set. The movie is called Codebreakers based on a true event that took place at West Point Military Academy in New York State in which a cheating scandal in the 1950s resulted in the dismissal of 90 cadets, many of whom were football players. And I mention that they were football players because this made-for-tv movie is airing on ESPN, a network in which I don't get on my cable TV. Over the last 2 days they were filming scenes behind Stevenson-Lawson, at the Med Sci loading docks, UC Hill (on which they flew an American flag) and Middlesex College.

Alfred and I took a "coffee break" and made an incidental detour around campus. We first went to Somerville where there appeared to be a wardrobe changing station. I truly felt sorry for the extras and actors who had to wear those wool uniforms + hat in the hot sun. Of course I brought along my camera and I took a picture from afar. One of the extras/fillers asked me if I wanted to come and take a picture with the soldiers so I said YES.

We talked to them for a little while. The guy 2nd from the right said he used to be in the military. I mostly talked with the guy standing right behind me to get the scoop on the movie and a bit about their careers. The fillers came from Toronto through several agencies and this guy said he did a lot of background work. They all seemed pretty happy to be there and I have to say that it was super cool to see all these people on campus.

Then we made a trip to UCC and took another detour to take a picture of an old bus.

As we walked down this way to see the bus, we saw the towards Middlesex was a large gathering of people and thought that they must be filming there.

We got closer and noticed they had rain-makers set up and were filming a walking scene in the rain. I took a pic and one of the crew mouthed "no flash" in a very friendly manner. Looking a little closer, one of the actors appeared to stand out and he looked more important than everyone else with an assistant following him around with a towel. It was ZTB, Zachary Ty Bryan from Home Improvement. I knew he was in the movie but never thought that I'd see him as the filming was only taking place over 2 days. Anyhow, he was all wet and took his shirt off just as I was going to take a picture but I didn't take it b/c I didn't want to exploit him like that hahaha. After the filming he started to walk right towards us as we stood on the grass. Some girl and guy asked him for his autograph although he appeared to be in a huge hurry and Zach was very gracious and gladly gave it. So I thought it was my opportunity to ask him for a pic and he willingly obliged. I shook his hand and introduced himself and he was super friendly and cordial. He said he was having a great time in London. Then his assistant took this really crappy picture of us.

Well honestly I was pretty happy for the rest of the day. It's the most excitement we've had on campus all summer. JTT was always my favourite on Home Improvement, but I think ZTB is climbing up there now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter