Thursday, July 27, 2006

All is right with the world again

I'm all set to move. Moving into a new condo this year proved to be much harder than last year. Last year I felt like the condo practically fell into my lap. With many listings to choose from, it only took one trip to Toronto on a weekend, and I had found the place I wanted. This year it took quite a bit more work to find a place. Many of the websites that I had counted on last year had very few desirable listings this year. I had very few to choose from, and those that appeared to have the right physical location and suitable layout were out of my price range. On top of that, I felt as though I did most of the work to find it--my roommate sat on the sidelines. But I think that that is a minor detail, given that I am pretty picky about what I want. Long story short, I found a place that is way too nice for the student furniture that we now possess. AAAANNNNNDDDDD...I signed my OWN lease!!! It might seem like a very small achievement, but it certainly makes me feel grown up! I don't care what anyone says. Pretty well compared to people my age, my independence is retarded by about 4 years, having lived at home all throughout undergrad. That means food, shelter and finances were always taken care of.

On Monday, I don't believe I have been more frustrated than I have in a couple of years. Post-packing, the last thing to get in order for my move was a moving vehicle. A minivan was the most suitable thing, but since I don't own one I called around to many many places. I didn't realize how complicated such a task would be. Firstly, why is it that everyone needs a minivan that Saturday?? Does each company only stock one or two vans? It was hard to find a place that even had vans to rent. Then, it was time to shop around for a price. Each time I called another place, it was more expensive than the last. Up and up the price went. When I decided to call back the cheapest place, they told me that the price increased!!! Nobody could tell me if it had stow-and-go. And finally I had to find a place that was open on Sunday so that I could return the van without being charged an extra day. I think I made about 25 calls...probably tore out a lot of hair, and freaked out my mom when I started screaming and cursing at the air. You do not want to see an angry Lesley.

Thankfully I was able to book a minivan. I didn't get the cheapest one, but I did the best I could. I feel a bit ripped off, but I at least had the choice between one that cost $109 and another that cost $112! What a savings.

*************************************************************************************

The funniest thing! I was telling my friend that when I went to Chinatown I bought some cheap fruits. When she asked what kinds I got, I told her strawberries, cherries and lychees. But when I said lychees, I Chinafied it and pronounced it LIE-CHEES. She promptly repeated what I said..."LIE-CHEES??" as if to point out that I had pronounced it wrong. "It's LEE-CHEES!" Said this Jewish-Canadian girl to a Chinese-Canadian. Hahahahaha...then I told her that it was the correct Cantonese way of saying it. Of all things, you don't correct a Chinese person on how to say a Chinese fruit!!!

3 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope the move goes smoothly.





(I really need to add you to by blog roll, but I also really need a haircut. But atleast you are now on my list of important things. dont you feel better because of this?)

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Lesley said...

Oh my gosh. After all of that minivan trouble, the stupid car rental company (ahem, Alamo)didn't have the van available in time. It was stuck at the airport. Grrrrrrr. So we used my dad's car to move ALLLLL of my stuff (plus got my roommate to graciously bring some of my stuff too)

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Lesley said...

Yes I do feel better thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter