Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Give me your oxygen in exchange for my carbon dioxide

For my birthday, my sister bought me a plant and although I do not know the name of the plant, I thought the flowers were very beautiful and interesting. They were a bold and red colour, with petals that drooped. Anyhow, as much as I wished to bring it with me to Toronto, I realized that it would probably die within a week. Since my place hardly gets any sunlight and the air circulation is very poor, I didn't think it was an environment for any plant to survive. Come to think of it, if a plant couldn't survive here, how can a human?? The idea of having a plant actually appeals to me. I never actually thought about it, but as a suggestion from one of my friends, I thought this idea has some merit. To take care of another living thing, no matter how small, might have its benefits. Firstly, for me, not to be so selfish. Selfishness is inherently important, but in times where I am self-loathing and self-depracating, it would be a reminder that it is unhealthy to be so self-involved. Two, I need something to take care of, and as small as a plant is, I want something to need me. Three, I wish to live in a more symbiotic environment. Four, don't indoor plants have a mood-altering effect such that one is generally happier? Well those four benefits sound reasonable to me, but it'll have to wait.

I seriously need to find a new place. I love my walk-in closet, but the SAD (seasonal affective disorder) needs to go.

(Oh I also learned today that your skin hardly produces any Vitamin D in the winter because the UV rays after the Fall are altered such that the stimulating effect disappears. There's no point to telling you this, but it is rather, a useless related fact.)

1 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Blogger Moxy said...

The plant is called a Cyclamen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter