Nearing a quarter century
This week I celebrated my birthday. I am 24 years old. On days when I feel old, I am always reminded that I actually look 15. Like this time I went to my parents' annual university reunion a few weeks ago and people at our table could have sworn I was 15. Maybe it was the fact that nobody my age (except my sister) actually goes to these things and most likely the teenagers that did attend were dragged there by their parents. To the contrary I went for the 10-course meal. I think the creepiest thing about that night was that some guy, who looked 40, asked my sister to dance, and then proceeded to hit on me by telling me I looked like Ziyi Zhang. *Shudder* But despite looking young, I think I'm old enough to have a quater-life crisis. I thought it was a myth, but how could I have known?
My birthday was quiet, much more low key than it has been in the past. I set out to do 2 things: Spend time with my family and eat good food. And I think I accomplished that. I did, however, meet up with some old friends. Friends from different stages in my life. Wow, I can't believe Diana is so mature. She has a stable job, which she loves, and she says she might have met the one. Just remembering those times in high school, she's really come a long way and met her goals. And what an insightful person too. Duane is always good for a laugh: "I'll be on the probe all day. Anal-yzing."
I made my way back to UWO campus today. That visit also brought back a lot of memories. My how things change without you. New faces, new environment. But walking through the old corridors and buildings still felt familiar. It is so different there and so unlike Toronto. I think that I had been living in this pretty, protected bubble with shiny, fake people and I had yet to see the real world. Well it was a nice time while it lasted!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home