Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Oh so trendy.

As the season changes from summer to fall, there is a noticeable emphasis on fashion trends and changes. Thinking about the trends right now, I can't understand what is going on with some fashion trends. It is true that trends come into and out of vogue in cyclical fashion. Some trends that have been revisited recently are leggings and tapered jeans/pants.

I am all for fashion changing, and if need be, going away for a while into hibernation and updated and recreated at a later date. But there are just some bad ideas that no matter what you do to it, should never come back. Leggings are brought forth into the 21st century by wearing skirts or long shirts over top of them. Tapered jeans are now low-waisted. These are two examples of things that should only be worn by the fashion elite, ie. as a creation borne out of the crazy minds of fashion designers, only to be seen on runways, and never to be interpreted for mainstream retail consumption. These two trends must die!

Another fashion movement that I don't get. Emo. I can't figure out what type of image a guy dressed in low-rise tapered women's jeans with a tight tucked t-shirt and mohawk is trying to convey. And what woman finds this attractive? I'm so confused. My friend informed me that Emo is a hybrid of punk and women's fashion. Huh?!? *puke*

I went through a few different fashion phases - sweat pants and t-shirts, salvation army/thrift wardrobe, clubby-wear, casual/sporty and professional/sophisticated. I've tried to be creative and unique in the clothes that I chose. At this point, I think that my taste in fashion has pretty much stabilized to the point where I know the things that I like. I'm not ready to go through another image overhaul, and this pretty much reflects that I am happy with where I am.

Some other male trends of note in recent times:
Pink shirts - is it still trendy, or is it mainstream now?
Long hair - thank goodness guys don't look like gelled clones of each other anymore. But who thought that the mullet was cool all of the sudden?
Popped collar - only some guys can pull this off b/c one can look as though he is trying too hard with this style.
Blazer - love this trend. This one can stay.
Designer jeans - Can I be a guy for a day so I can wear men's jeans?

I once aspired to dabbling in fashion design, but I think at this point, I'd be a bit too close-minded to "stay trendy". I'd probably have to specialize in a type of garment (dresses, undergarments)! I suppose for now, I will just have to spent my hard-earned money on what other people decide is in fashion. I guess I'll be saving quite a bit of money by not latching on to the tapered trend!

3 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can be bothered to care about any f the trends, but then again, I am your average guy. The only trend that I rock is the popped collar, and thats only cause Im just too lazy to put it down.

But other than that, Im wearing white right now, and its after labour day, and Im wearing black socks with sandals with my emo looking tight ass jeans and my pink dress shirt.

I rock

KevBo

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Moxy said...

I'd like to see picture proof of that :)

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya, its probably going to be a cold day in hell before that ever happens. emo is so out, almost like it was never in.

You rock.

KevBo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web hit counter