Ode to an apartment

When I look at this picture, it makes me really happy that I moved. It's the view from my 17th floor apartment which has an obstructed view of the sunset every night. I can see the Four Seasons, the Hyatt, the ROM, the Planetarium, Robarts Library and the church across the street with bells that ring at noon and 6pm. I can even see a whole bunch of treetops (who knew there were so many trees in D/T Toronto?).
I have fond memories of my old apartment. The smoke detector going off when bread is in the toaster. The toast had to be popped out just before it started to make that distinct crispy smell, otherwise you had to fan at the detector with a dishrag or by opening and closing the closet door.
It wasn't all that bad. I mean, even though my apartment had very little light, I had my own personal sun and moon. The sun of course, supplied by my lamp, reflecting light off tinfoil that was taped to the ceiling just above it..(insert pic here). Then I had the moon (pictured at left). The construction people, whom had been obstructing the view from my window for months, felt so bad for me that they decided to erect a crane that shone a light brightly through my window at night.Even though I miss having a little pet around, I could always rely on those antennae sporting visitors to keep me (my food) company. The little ants bothered me at first but I quickly adapted to not leaving food out on the counter and I was happy that the carpet was so dark that even though they might be crawling around, I could not see them. They were so small and so many that it was pointless to kill them anymore. I did however leave some boric acid laying around in case they decided they were hungry for some white powder poison.
There are things I definitely won't miss. The smell of Subway sandwiches that greet you at the point of entry or exit to Bay Street. Random people walking into my apartment thinking it was theirs. And the couple of incidences with street masturbators. Yes that's right, I have already written about the one time that I ran into a masturbator while walking along the side of my building. This first time it happened, it was 8pm and I had just taken the TTC subway at College. He probably had a bad day after work ( he was wearing business suit) and decided to just whip it out then and there. The second time, it again occurred after I had taken the subway, and down the same alleyway. It was a bit later, 11pm. The guy was pretty much on Bay Street, pleasuring himself in plain view. He was a different guy, but again he was pretty young.
How could it have happened to me twice??? Anyhow, let's hope that by moving it won't happen again.

Some things that I will miss are my old apt's proximity to school and to the bus terminal; Rich Tree's yummy food deals after taking the subway; encounters with Ross Hull from Student Bodies in the elevator (asking myself: should I get his autograph or not?); invitations from my pot-head next door neighbour to "hang out"; and random hellos in the elevator.
Goodbye apartment, I will miss you...but not that much.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home