Eye had a great time
This past weekend was another memorable one spent with my family. I went home on Thursday night, spent some time with Mom on Friday, saw a great basketball documentary called The Heart of the Game at Hyland Cinema and then on Saturday we went to Ajax to see my cousin's baby, Nathan. My cousin's wife makes THE BEST shortbread cookies!
We then headed to Pacific Mall (also known as Pac Mall) so I could find a new pair of eyeglasses. I was really excited to look around for some frames knowing that there were so many stores to check out. But then I remembered that you have to have one-on-one service to look at frames. The silly way it works is you tell them an idea of what you want and the salesperson goes around trying to find your conception of a style. Everything is encased within glass cabinets so you can't try them on yourself, unlike at an optometrist's office. I was getting flashbacks to 3 years ago when I was in the same situation, and the salesguy insisted that I try rimless glasses because they were so trendy. Dude, I don't care about trendy, I want something that looks good on me.
Glasses are an accessory that needs to be tried on in order to know how it looks. I mean, I really like fedora hats, but if I tried one on, I'd surely look like a dork! The first store I went to, the girl was a little helpful, but I should come with a warning: I need to try on basically the whole store in order to decide what I like. Naturally the girl was annoyed at me that I didn't like anything she pulled out. Meanwhile, she was speaking Cantonese to her friend about me, in front of me (so funny when they think I'm a complete Cantonese idiot, when I'm not. Also funny that they think someone doesn't know they are being talked about when he/she has her head slightly turned and speaks in a hushed voice). Good thing that all she said was that I was picky, which is true.
On to the next store. Completely Incompetent Girl who clearly dislikes her job asked me what I wanted. I told her the general shape that I want, and that I don't want rimless. She pulled out maybe 5 pairs when the store has at least 200. So much for having a job when you don't do it. I was not very impressed and I decided to leave. Frustration began to settle in, and then we (my whole family has recongregated) happened to walk into a store which has unpretentious, no-attitude salespeople. They were very patient, accomodating and not too pushy. Then I find a frame that I think is pretty cool. Now the fun part, the bargaining. I got a $350 frame, down to $250 including the lenses with anti-scratch, anti-glare, anti-UV protection. All covered by insurance, go me! The optician there gave me a new prescription too. They look kind of like these:
Things really started heating up because as I'm choosing, each family member started to look around and as soon as I knew it, everyone was getting into the spirit. My sis bought 2 pairs of glasses, my dad bought a pair of sunglasses, and then as we start to leave, my mom spotted a pair that she likes and buys one too. I love how my little venture somehow sucked everyone in to joining in the fun!I also bought this awesome gold belt. We then ate at the "Food Alley" and had some interesting conversation. My sister was telling a crazy story about her friend. It went something like this, in summary form: My sister's friend C. got really drunk one time and ended up sleeping with some woman (slut) he is friends with, but who is unfortunately married. He used the usual blame-it-on-the-alcohol excuse. Then a while later, slut decided she wants to leave her husband for C. C. refuses to have anything to do with her so she tried to get revenge by sleeping with his roommate, and another friend of C's, and 2 other friends "all within 48 hours" according to my sister. My response was, first, holy shit she's screwed up. Then I said, "so she had sex with 4 guys, like at the same time?"
Sis and I think about that for a second, then unbeknownst to us, my mom was listening. In her cute, innocent voice she says, "Like, an orgy?"
You seriously had to be there because it was literally the funniest thing I'd ever heard my mom say, and she says a lot of funny things. I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time. I slammed my soya milk into the table, basically bounced off my chair laughing until I cried and had trouble breathing.
(Sunday - we had korean food, sushi, watched the Rogers Cup on CBC, and then my family left me...)
All in all, it was a really fun weekend, even though I passed up watching my old ball team in the playoffs, seeing Jenn play badminton against the defending womens' world #1 from China, and beach volleyball.

1 Comments:
"fedora hats"
lets be honest, these arent cool for anyone to wear, unless you are emo, and well thats just enough punishment as it is.
hope you like the glasses you end up getting
Post a Comment
<< Home