Friday the 13th - My date with Romeo
Yesterday I went to a presentation put on by the Canadian Network for International Surgery in conjuction with our faculty. The keynote speaker was Romeo Dallaire, the most admirable person, I think, in recent Canadian history. Although, Canadians don't have much to be proud of with respect to its role in or more aptly put, non-existence in Rwanda during 1994-the genocide. Oh the hell he went through, only to emerge from his own personal demons and still be a composed, tireless and eloquent ambassador for human rights in Africa. He gave an awe-inspiring speech, most of which one probably had to be very familiar with global crises in the past 30 years or have read his book (which I did) to contextualize. It was funny when the doc introducing Romeo (now The Senator) admitted to only reading his book last week. And then when he tried to state the name of the book, he almost blanked out and forgot the title. Romeo was very forgiving and was light-hearted about the situation - he laughed heartily while poking his tongue between his teeth. He is as much dignified in person as he appears in his old military/peace-keeping photographs. He speaks so passionately and with esteem and intelligence.
"You must not survive the future. Shape the future."
Look how happy he is to be standing next to me! The feeling is mutual. I was so excited to meet him. I got him to sign my book, I gave him a nice firm handshake and I told him how much I appreciated that he came to speak with us. For all that he's done, he makes me want to do a little good in this world too.

1 Comments:
i wish i could be as inspired as you...
Post a Comment
<< Home