Seeing things in blue
Last week I went and did something that I've been wanting to do for a long time. I had been putting it off and I just couldn't stand it any longer. I bought some new pens.
Now you might think, how significant is that? Well you see, I used to take so much pride in my stationary. Ever since I was little, my favourite part about getting ready for school at the beginning of the year was the part where I got to go back-to-school shopping. I had a pen in every colour of the rainbow, I even had rainbow-coloured pens, sparkly pens, erasable pens, you name it. As a sign of the times, I stopped caring so much about my writing utensils and paid more attention to doing the work. Plus my pencil case was getting way too heavy; I needed to make more room for the books.
Typically I only have one or two pens in regular rotation...I had been using the quad-colour clicky pen, one in which the colours can be rotated to your liking. You see I am a picky girl when it comes to pens. I have to write in blue pen and I don't like the pens with fine-point. Those quad pens are a tricky thing because I tend to favour the blue, so when it runs out, it sort of loses its dynamic purpose. (This is what happened). Anyhow I was overwhelmed with the pen choices at the bookstore. It was kind of like a Starbucks experience...grande...low-fat...whipped cream...iced...caramel...macchiato. What is a macchiato anyway? So there I was, so many choices: ball-point, felt-tip, oil-based ink for smoother writing, ergonomic gel grip, 1.0 mm point, bold colour. Wow, it's like this whole market of blue pens that I never considered to have so much selection!! Alright, I was unnerved that they were all packaged and couldn't be sampled, because when it comes down to it, flashy words have no meaning. It's like when you go to an ice cream shop: if you want to really know what something tastes like, they let you sample it before buying. Alas, no such luck, so I blindly bought some blue pens, and though they are not perfect, life is back to normal, seeing my writing in blue.
Random: Who invented crunchy peanut butter? I accidentally bought it and I've been paying for it ever since...it is impossible to spread the stuff onto toast. I'm almost tempted to buy a blender so I can crush up the rest of the rogue peanuts.
School Random: When talking to a classmate about the up-coming exam, I inquired about whether the exam was cumulative. She said, "well it was discussed at the beginning of the class." I replied, "yeah I missed the first 5 minutes of class," to which she snidely said, "that's why you have to be punctual, whoops, I should really watch what I say." BURRRNNN. You could tell it was a remark she meant to say in her head.
In our problem-based learning session today I meant to give the answer: "acanthosis nigricans", but instead I said "agricans". Our tutor cracked up over it, and said she was going to use it one day. I have a tendency to blend words. For instance, this one I am really proud of: Sarah Jessica Parker = Sarica Parker.
I like our tutor, she's really knowledgeable and thinks about problems in such an astute way. She's damn intimidating though. She could eat me, and my unborn children for dinner. She's this British broad, with a lot of passion and ambition. She told us that she has taken down three would-be robbers. "Two of which will never have children" if you know what I mean.
Anyhoo....I should get back to studying.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home